Jazz Fest 2006

No work today, the Fest is back. Dad and I went out to the fairgrounds this morning to go to The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Jazz Fest is basically a huge amalgamation of music, food and arts/crafts at the Fair Grounds Race Course. This is the third or fourth year I’ve been. Dad and I intend to go all six days this year. Between the lackluster attendance last year and hurricane Katrina, I wouldn’t have been surprised if the Jazz Fest had not taken place this year. I know I’m among many who are elated that it is, however. It the attendance today was any indication, it should be a rousing success. Dad and arrived sometime after 11. He parked in his usual spot. The line to get in at the gate near the clubhouse looked to be a mile long. We walked over to what I suppose is the main gate. There was no line there at all. It was sad and hilarious at the same time. Once we were in I think we went right to economy hall. The New Orleans Jazz Vipers were in the middle of their set. There a swing/traditional jazz band that I’ve seen more than once thanks to their frequent performances at the Spotted Cat. After them, the Dukes of Dixieland performed. They’re a traditional jazz band that’s best known as playing on the steamboat Natchez. I’ve seen them at Jazz Fest a couple times. I remember us leaving economy hall after the dukes but I don’t remember why. I do recall going back for some of Lionel Ferbos and the Palm Court Jazz Band. We left about half way though to go to Congo Square. Vivaz, a local latin group I’d never heard of, was playing. They were really good, which made it even more surprising I wasn’t familiar with them. Just before their set ended, I left the fairgrounds and got a taxi to Tulane because I had a final exam for psychology this afternoon. I left nearly an hour and half before I had to be there at 4:30 because I was concerned I might have trouble getting a cab. It was in fact no trouble at all and I was at Tulane by about 3:30. I’m not sure if the last test was harder than the previous ones, but I did think I had a reasonably firm grasp of the material. I was the first to finish the test. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing. Earlier in the day I asked Mom to pick me p after the test and she was waiting for me out front when I did. Just a few minutes after we got home, Jeff arrived home as well from Michigan. He was with his friend Jenny, who will be staying with us a couple days. That evening was relatively uneventful. I borrowed Jeff’s laptop to burn some DVDs because my desktop burner is putting out coasters. I think I may need to buy a new one.

Comments are closed.