Ellis Marsalis Trio

I neglected the log again this week as haven’t had the motivation or apparent necessity to post. I’ve been spending a disturbing majority of my time at home, not really doing anything of circumstance. I did work a little bit this week, but only about half as much as last week. I did manage to get out of the house on Tuesday. Dad and I went out to Lakeside mall around six this evening. The mall was pretty crowded, especially for a Wednesday. We decided to get something to eat first at the food court. While waiting in line I ran into a girl I went to high school with that happens to be a neighbor. By the time we finished eating around seven the mall was about to close. Obviously we weren’t aware of the closing time before hand. Our trip out to Metairie seemed like a waste of time but we went to a nearby Borders bookstore and browsed around there for a good while. I ended up walking out with three DVDs: Buena Vista Social Club, Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. They were all priced surprisingly reasonably for a bookstore. I watched all of these by Thursday. On Friday, a flip clock I won on eBay arrived, a Panasonic RC-6551. It tempered my disappointment of breaking the Sony flip clock I broke the day before while I was trying to repair it. This evening, Dad and I went to see Ellis Marsalis at Snug Harbor at 11. We arrived about 15 minutes before the show started. Mr. Marsalis was playing with a bass player and a drummer I was unfamiliar with. There were about 20 people in attendance for the late set, considerably fewer than I’ve seen in the past. The balcony was closed. They started out with a couple Christmas tunes including Silent Night and a selection from a Charlie Brown Christmas. The rest of the music was a lot of showish Jazz stuff. The music was good, but much more down tempo than I’m used to hearing at his performances. I would have preferred to hear that sort of music at an earlier hour of the evening. After the show, Dad and I had a drink at the bar before heading home. I went straight to bed after getting back as I was rather tired.

Comments are closed.